Washington Women's History Consortium
Women's Clubs and Organizations
Capsule History of Washington State
Federation of Women's Clubs
The Washington State Federation of Women's Clubs is a member of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. WSFWC had its beginning
when the Aloha Club and the Nesika clubs of Tacoma invited the known clubs of women scattered over the state to a convention
in Tacoma September 22-23, 1896, with the idea of forming a state federation. There were 34 delegates in attendance
representing 22 clubs.
On September 23, 1896, officers were selected and Mrs. Amy P. Stacy, president of the Aloha Club, was the first president
due to her ability to organize. Since the work of the federation was so very close to her heart she came to be known
as the "Federation Mother."
The Constitution was adopted and the dues were $2.50 per club and active members dues were 10 cents per capita.
During the first meeting the State Federation was presented with a beautiful apple gavel which had been carved of
wood from an apple tree planted by Marcus Whitman. The State Federation then joined the General Federation of Women's Clubs.
In 1910 the Washington State Federation of Women's Club was incorporated. The legislative committee and the library
committee were appointed.
Over the years WSFWC has accomplished many things. Juvenile courts and mothers pensions were suggested in 1903 and
became active in 1905. Traveling libraries began with the aim of a library in every community. A proper building to
house the State Library was another aim of the organization. Bookmobiles and county libraries became active in many
parts of the state.
Aid for the blind program began in 1907, later the Juniors developed this into one of the outstanding achievements of our
time. The Educational Loan Fund came into existence in 1909. Segregation of the sexes in the School for juveniles was
enacted in 1910. The WSFWC State President Miss Janet Moore was appointed by Governor Lister to select a suitable site
for the girls school. Grand Mound was selected. The school now is known as Maple Lane State School. The state federation
worked very hard in Maxine Proffitt's administration to sponsor building a beautiful swimming pool for the school.
As time went by the activities continued and the Endowment Fund was started in 1913. The state was divided into districts
at that time. It was felt the smaller groups would become closer and could meet together easier. The Bulletin, now
known as the Washington Clubwoman, was established and the WSFWC President Emeritus Club was formed.
1925 was a big year when WSFWC realized a dream of having a park to give to the state of Washington. It was dedicated in
1949 and is known as Federation Forest State Park.
In 1932, WSFWC hosted the General Federation Biennial convention in Seattle. The GFWC convention was in Seattle again
in 1977 and 1995.
Through the years Federation activities become too numerous to mention. Local and worldwide, all share equal importance
with the few mentioned. Among them are community service awards in cooperation with Sears, Roebuck and Company, statewide
Safety Program, Scholarships, 4-H clubs started by a woman's club member, Literacy Programs, gifts to the Governor's Mansion,
Bicentennial Resolutions Book, and plantings at the Seattle and Spokane International airports. The list goes on and on.
The records of WSFWC have been placed in the Suzzalo Library at the University of Washington so people can study them and
see what has been accomplished over the first hundred years.