Washington Women's History Consortium
Women's Clubs and Organizations
Juanita Ludwigs, President, 1939-1941
Washington State Federation of Women's Clubs
The illness and subsequent resignation of President Helen Swensson, necessitated Mrs. Ludwigs assuming the presidential duties
at a very busy period of her life and at a critical time in the history of the world. She was at the time, President of the
Washington State Federation of Music Clubs and also Chairman of the Division of Music in the General Federation. At this time
the nations were on the verge of World War II.
Mrs. Frank H. Ludwigs (Juanita Frey), who became the twenty-fourth President of WSFWC, was born in Placerville, California,
the daughter of Walter and Anna Craghead Frey. She graduated from the University of Nevada, with a B.A. degree and has a B.M.
(Bachelor of Music) from Whitman College.
She married Frank H. Ludwigs of Walla Walla. Before her marriage she was a teacher of history, debate, dramatics and physical
education in the high schools of Davenport and Walla Walla. Many worthy activities, civic and cultural in both her city and
state, were undertaken by Mrs. Ludwigs. She was an active member of P.E.O. and her university social was Pi Beta Phi.
She presided at the forty-fourth and forty-fifth annual conventions. The forty-fourth was June 10-14, 1940, in the
auditorium of the Methodist Church, Yakima, with 291 paying the registration fee. The forty-fifth convention was June 16-19,
in the Moore Theater, Seattle, the final report showed that 331 registered.
The Yakima convention commemorated the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of GFWC and the theme of the Seattle convention was
During this administration, the clubwomen were living in a crucial period. Governments were being transformed. The world
was changing. "It may, in the future, be designated as a dreadful era, but it cannot be denied that it was a GREAT ERA. The
American people in general were showing a more active and intelligent interest in the democratic form of government. To
prove that their faith was not ill founded, both money and men were poured into the defense arena."
The history of the Federation reveals that as any need arose, the Federated women met it. They readily adapted themselves
to changing times and occasions.
Washington State Federation met its responsibility, realizing that the world status was the problem of all departments.
The International Relations Department emphasized the necessity for increased study of the history and culture of this
hemisphere, and Pan-Americanism took on a new meaning.
In cooperation with the Washington State Association of Fire Chiefs, an intensive campaign was inaugurated to reduce fires
in the home by means of voluntary dwelling inspections by local fire departments.
During this time, the Government took over much work in the line of adult education under the W.P.A., making quite a
difference in the work of the Department of Education in the Federation.
Realizing the need for cooperation during these troublous times, the aim of the Juniors was to plan for the "Adjusting
Democracy to Human Welfare," as suggested by GFWC. The Juniors' main project, assistance to the blind in the state, was
never deserted. Other projects in which they took part included: Cancer Control, Safety Programs, Youth Movements, Red
Cross, Orthopedic Work and aid to China and Britain.
Although it did not result in a state law, an effort was made by the Division of Public Health to get a premarital bill into
the Legislature, making it obligatory for both parties asking for a marriage license to pass an examination and a blood test
The story of the Federation Forest has been told throughout this history. The ultimate sale of the timber by the State Parks
Committee, brought $25,000, which was placed in a special state fund during the administration of Mrs. Kulzer. A happy chapter
belongs in the record of Mrs. Ludwigs' administration.
In January 1941, the State Parks Commission, purchased 251 acres on the Naches Highway about 15 miles east of Enumclaw. The
amount paid was $20,000, leaving $5,000 in the fund. Wheels were almost immediately in motion to obtain enough money from
the Legislature to purchase nearby, privately owned roadside forest.
Although the details of the completion of the park rightfully belong in the history of subsequent administrations, the
Legislature did appropriate $125,000 and 334 additional acres were bought as planned.
At the convention in Seattle, a raise of 5 cents per capita dues was voted in accordance with a request from the GFWC
meeting in Atlantic City.
Mid-year board meetings were in Puyallup and Bremerton. The bylaws were considerably changed during this administration.