Washington Women's History Consortium
Women's Clubs and Organizations
Mrs. Verb Hayes, Junior Director,1946-1948
Washington State Federation of Junior Women's Clubs
Forty-two clubs comprised the Juniors under Mrs. Verb Hayes' leadership.
The Scholarship Loan continued with Mary Hines accepting a scholarship to Smith College.
Youth Conservation was a project with all clubs concentratinc, on sending a local child (or children if possible) to summer camp.
The Blind continued to be a focus of the group. The Juniors contributed to American Foundation for Overseas Blind, Inc., and assisted in sale of "White Canes" for the State Federation of the Blind. The Junior department chairman was a member of the Advisory Committee for the State Division of Blind. Donations were sent to the Washington State School for the Blind, in Vancouver, to be used for recreational purposes.
The GFWC convention was in Oregon. Badges were made for all Washington Juniors. A gift from Washington Juniors was given to a delegate from each state. Mrs. Hayes was one of three speakers at the Junior Night program.
All clubs were urged to support House Bill 195, relating to juvenile courts and establishing a department of youth protection in Washington.
New clubs formed in Burlington, Toppenish and Colville and a junior department of the Home Economics Club in Yakima. There were three classifications of Junior Clubs - Sub Juniors, Junior Departments functioning as any other department, and Junior Clubs.
A resolution was passed favoring setting aside certain areas in the Vancouver Barracks and reconstruction of old Fort Vancouver as a National Historical Monument.
Convention in 1947 was in Seattle with the Seattle Women's Century Club Juniors as hostesses. The treasury was up to $1,339.4 1.
It was stressed that Junior Clubs that would turn Seniors in a few years make sure there would be another Junior Club established before the move was made.
The 1948 convention was in Yakima. Nine new clubs were recognized - Woodland Juniors, Bremerton Parker Heights, Credenza of Bellingham, Beta of Washougal, Kwenesum Kuan of Pomeroy, Tolo of Walla Walla, Alpha Group of Spokane, Wapato. Two clubs - A and B of Cashmere and the Stevenson Club entered the next year.
$250 was given to the Blind School for a recording machine and another $250 was given to them to be used during 1949 to sponsor a clinic for the parents of pre-school blind children.